There are countless Pilates exercises for beginners that practitioners can choose from as they begin their journey.
We’ve put together this no-frill list of why you should start and what you can start with to give you some guidance through the beginning of your journey.
3 reasons why Pilates is the perfect choice for beginners
Pilates for beginners may sound like a daunting venture at first. However, trust us when we say this practice is accessible for anyone.
There are endless physical and mental benefits for every person to gain by taking the leap and trying this new challenge.
- Pilates is adaptable: Instructors can modify the exercises in Pilates to meet practitioners where they are at regardless of their age, fitness, or ability levels.
- Consistency is key: Individuals don’t have to be a star athlete or a professional dancer to benefit from Pilates. Instead, they must simply practice Pilates consistently to improve their strength, flexibility, posture, balance, and mind-body connection.
- You have options: There are many different approaches to Pilates. This practice isn’t one fits all. Beginners can experiment with the different styles to find one that meets their needs the best.
What are the best beginner Pilates exercises for first-time practitioners?
Beginner Pilates exercises help to engrain Pilates’ foundational elements, like controlling movement through breath, into practitioners’ minds. These movements are essential to receiving the full physical and mental benefit of the practice. Below are some of our favorites.
- The pelvic curl: This exercise is a fantastic warm-up for the spine and abdominal muscles. It teaches beginners to use their breath to flow through slow, controlled movements articulating the spine. We recommend using this movement as a warm-up before doing any further Pilates exercises for abs.
- The cat-cow: The cat-cow is a fabulous Pilates exercise for beginners because it is a simple tool to reduce lower back pain. Moreover, it is an easy way for practitioners to find a neutral spine.
- Arm reach and pull: Improving shoulder stability for spinal health is critical. This exercise helps beginners develop more awareness around their scapulae. As a result, it teaches them to engage in movements that protect and support their upper body.
How MatWorkz Pilates in Orlando, Florida, supports Pilates for beginners
The MatWorkz Pilates studio is a wonderful place for individuals to try Pilates exercises for beginners. We have private and group class options.
Our instructors are passionate about introducing the power of movement to our practitioners’ lives. We believe in transforming the mind, body, and spirit through Joesph Pilates’ elegant and straightforward exercise approach.
Visit us or call us at 407-628-4888 to learn more about how we can help you.