I am usually ahead of curves, but after over a decade of teaching this movement system, I am surprised it is still a novelty. GYROTONIC® originator, Juliu Horvath, developed his system after having several injuries from his dance career. His work is still evolving and I’ve seen several adjustments since I have been teaching his method. With that said, here are 8 things to know about the GYROTONIC EXPANSION SYSTEM®
- GYROTONIC EXPANSION SYSTEM® has 2 branches:
GYROKINESIS® is the foundation of the work and was first called “yoga for dancers”. It starts on stools and progresses to the floor on lily pads (mat).
GYROTONIC® encompasses 6 specialized pieces of equipment. The various equipment uses weights and rotating “disks” for resistance.
- Regardless of age or state of health, almost anyone can participate.
- Fluidity and rhythm of the movements are emphasized with three distinct breathing patterns.
- Is used by elite athletes or for post-operative recovery.
- Creates harmony and balance in the body’s energy flow.
- Juliu started this journey in 1977 in St. Thomas U.S. Virgin Islands.
- The use of “spirals” allows the movement to happen over more places in a joint. This translates into less “wear” on the joints.
- Juliu originally handmade every piece of equipment.
These are just a few of the reasons I love this work. I like to say Julio is the Joseph Pilates of our time. I missed out on Joe, but am happy to be catching Julios’ wave!
Come by for an introductory lesson anytime!