I am usually ahead of curves, but after over a decade of teaching this movement system, I am surprised it is still a novelty. GYROTONIC® originator, Juliu Horvath, developed his system after having several injuries from his dance career. His work is still evolving and I’ve seen several adjustments since I have been teaching his method. With that said, here are 8 things to know about the GYROTONIC EXPANSION SYSTEM®
1. GYROTONIC EXPANSION SYSTEM® has 2 branches:
GYROKINESIS® is the foundation of the work and was first called “yoga for dancers”. It starts on stools and progresses to the floor on lily pads (mat). GYROTONIC® encompasses 6 specialized pieces of equipment. The various equipment uses weights and rotating “disks” for resistance.
2. Regardless of age or state of health, almost anyone can participate.
3. Fluidity and rhythm of the movements are emphasized with three distinct breathing patterns.
4. Is used by elite athletes or for post-operative recovery.
5. Creates harmony and balance in the body’s energy flow.
6. Juliu started this journey in 1977 in St. Thomas U.S. Virgin Islands.
7. The use of “spirals” allows the movement to happen over more places in a joint. This translates into less “wear” on the joints.
8. Juliu originally handmade every piece of equipment.
These are just a few of the reasons I love this work. I like to say Julio is the Joseph Pilates of our time. I missed out on Joe, but am happy to be catching Julios’ wave!
Come by for an introductory lesson anytime!